search archive
explore archive

2692 total results

In complete archive


Title
Description
Date

Tim Ticehurst '89 and Larry Mono '89 serving as Oktoberfest waiters at the membership party. Strolling accordionist is unidentified. Location: Ames building.

1988-10-14

Tim Ericson '89, John Collins G'77, Tim Ticehurst '89 and Larry Mono '89. Location: Ames building.

1988-10-14

Emerson College Banner. Shot during the April Preview event at the Admissions office for prospective students and their families.

1992-04-09

Harry Morgan '59, acting VP of Business and Finance and Associate VP for Program Development and Space Planning, presents an update on the plans for a new college campus. Location: Student Union.

1986-10-01

Mrs. Mia Ummenthumm, the conducts the local children's choir during the dedication ceremony. Emerson's study abroad program at Kasteel Well began in 1985. The college purchased the "The Castle" in 1988. Seated guests pictured include Marillyn Zacharis.

1988-09-28

Dr. Allen Koenig, president of Emerson College, and Mr. W. Klaverdijk, mayor of Bergen during the dedication ceremony. Emerson's study abroad program at Kasteel Well began in 1985. The college purchased the "The Castle" in 1988.

1988-09-28

Platform party with guild members during the dedication ceremony. Emerson's study abroad program at Kasteel Well began in 1985. The college purchased the "The Castle" in 1988.

1988-09-28

Austin Pendleton and Colleen Jenkins teach a class together on directing.

1988-04-25

Austin Pendleton, actor, teaches a class on directing. Fireplace Theatre, Brimmer St., Boston.

1988-04-25

Emerson president Allen Koenig receives the keys to Castle Well from Chairman Ir. Schiffelers of the Limburgse Kastelen Stichting during the dedication ceremony. Emerson's study abroad program at Kasteel Well began in 1985. The college purchased the "The Castle" in 1988.

1988-09-28

R.A. Schlessinger, cultural affairs officer at the American Embassy (The Hague) during the dedication ceremony. Emerson's study abroad program at Kasteel Well began in 1985. The college purchased the "The Castle" in 1988.

1988-09-28

Dr. Henry Stonie gives the benediction during the dedication ceremony. Emerson's study abroad program at Kasteel Well began in 1985. The college purchased the "The Castle" in 1988.

1988-09-28

Exterior view of the Castle.

1980 - 1999

Austin Pendleton, actor, teaches a class on acting. Fireplace Theatre, Brimmer St., Boston.

1988-04-25

Gregory Payne, chair of the Communication Studies division, meets Jackie Onassis during the reception following the dedication ceremony. Emerson College was the only school to attend. Members of faculty and students from Political Comm. program attended.

1990-05-29

Eli Wallach and Anne Jackson during a performance. Location: Dorothy Quincy Suite at John Hancock Hall.

1988-06-06

Benefit performance of the Actors' Enclave. From left to right: Moses Gunn, Beatrice Straight, ?, Austin Pendelton and Robert Lansing. Unidentified woman in center may be pianist Sylvia Kahan.

1988-06-06

Benefit performance of the Actors' Enclave. From left to right: Eli Wallach, Anne Jackson, Moses Gunn, Beatrice Straight, ?, Austin Pendleton, Robert Lansing, Tammy Grimes, E.G. Marshall and William Alfred (members of the Actors' Enclave). Location: Dorothy Quincy Suite at John Hancock Hall. Unidentified woman in center may be pianist Sylvia Kahan.

1988-06-06

Benefit performance of the Actors' Enclave. From left to right: Moses Gunn, Beatrice Straight, ?, Austin Pendleton, Robert Lansing, Tammy Grimes, Ray Flynn (back to camera), E.G. Marshall, William Alfred (all members of the Actors' Enclave), and theatre critic Eliot Norton. Location: Dorothy Quincy Suite at John Hancock Hall. Unidentified woman 3rd from left may be pianist Sylvia Kahan.

1988-06-06

John Rigrod '66, secretary for Alumni Association with John Collins, Director of Alumni Relations. Cabaret lunch about "New Boston" departed from Rowes Wharf for a cruise on Boston Harbor.

1986-05-10

Andrea Liftman '70 steps down as president of the Alumni Association and passes the gavel to Frank Napal. Cabaret lunch about "New Boston" departed from Rowes Wharf for a cruise on Boston Harbor.

1986-05-10

Alumni at the table display their "1965" card. Dates of alumni weekend: May 31-June 2, 1985.

1985-05-31 - 1985-06-02

Lloyd Roach '70 and Jill Fitzgerald '78. Aboard the Moshulu, a tall ship berthed in Penn's landing, Philadelphia.

1987

The class of '56 share memories and capture new memories on film. Cabaret lunch about "New Boston" departed from Rowes Wharf for a cruise on Boston Harbor.

1986-05-10

Alumni at the table display their "1970" card. Dates of alumni weekend: May 31-June 2, 1985.

1985-05-31 - 1985-06-02

Martha Hansen '77, president of the Boston Alumni Club addresses the group of approx. 38 alumni. Location: H.J. Hotel, the Hubub Club, Cambridge, Mass.

1989-01-15

Elizabeth Sampson '26 and Ruth Day Sawyer '26. Cabaret lunch about "New Boston" departed from Rowes Wharf for a cruise on Boston Harbor.

1986-05-10

Alumni at the table display their "1960" card. Dates of alumni weekend: May 31-June 2, 1985.

1985-05-31 - 1985-06-02

Alumni at the table display their "1925" card. Dates of alumni weekend: May 31-June 2, 1985.

1985-05-31 - 1985-06-02

Alumni at the table display their "1950" card. Dates of alumni weekend: May 31-June 2, 1985.

1985-05-31 - 1985-06-02

Allee Hamilton Wood signs the Cabaret '86 yearbook. This yearbook was dedicated to the 50th reunion class of 1936 who never had a yearbook from their time at Emerson. Cabaret lunch about "New Boston" departed from Rowes Wharf for a cruise on Boston Harbor.

1986-05-10

Alumni at the table display their "1935" card. Pictured guests include Emerson professor June Mitchell. Dates of alumni weekend: May 31-June 2, 1985.

1985-05-31 - 1985-06-02

Attendants of the alumni brunch. Approx. 38 attended. Location: H.J. Hotel, the Hubub Club, Cambridge, Mass.

1989-01-15

Alumni at the table display their "1955" card. Pictured guests include Emerson professor Ken Crannell '55 and trustee, Helaine Miller. Dates of alumni weekend: May 31-June 2, 1985.

1985-05-31 - 1985-06-02

Alumni at the table display their "1945" card. Dates of alumni weekend: May 31-June 2, 1985.

1985-05-31 - 1985-06-02

Carole Soling '56 with other members of her class. Cabaret lunch about "New Boston" departed from Rowes Wharf for a cruise on Boston Harbor.

1986-05-10

Group photo of the 15th reunion of the class of 1961. Cabaret lunch about "New Boston" departed from Rowes Wharf for a cruise on Boston Harbor.

1986-05-10

Alumni admire an ice sculpture.

1992-04-24 - 1992-04-26

Michael Kletter '66, Steven Gary '66 and Jeff Goldstein '66.

1993-04-24

Group shot of the reunion class of 1956. The Westin Hotel, Boston.

1991-04-27

Alumni having dinner at banquet table.

1992-04-24 - 1992-04-26

Marc Anthony Douthit '86 at the black jack table. Douthit went on to practice law after graduating Emerson and from 1989 to 1994 he served as Vice President of the Emerson College Alumni Association.

1993-04-24

1992-04-24 - 1992-04-26

Three alumni hold flower bouquets in plastic wrap. Pictured: John Anderson (right).

1992-04-24 - 1992-04-26

Jacqueline Liebergott.

1992-04-24 - 1992-04-26

Young man wearing conical hat prepares food. Chinese fortune cookies spill are scattered on the table.

1992-04-24 - 1992-04-26

Group shot of the reunion class of 1961. The Westin Hotel, Boston.

1991-04-27

Charles Klim '50, Professor Emeritus, Communication Disorders. Division of Communication Disorders paid tribute to Charles Klim, retiring faculty member and past division chair.

1992-04-24 - 1992-04-26

Mary O'Keefe Dentler '36, Virginia Robarts Morton '26, Elizabeth Wellington Sampson '26, Natalie Housman Worsman '41, Allee Hamilton Wood '36, Julie Quigley McGarvey '36, and David Crockett '41. Lower Commonwealth Ave., Boston.

1991-04-28

Members of the class of '73 at the black jack table.

1993-04-24

Charles Klim, Professor Emeritus, Communication Disorders.

1992-04-24 - 1992-04-26

Members of the Athletic Trust Fund: Chris O'Callahan '75, Echart Chris Beck '68 G'69, Jim Peckham, John Rigrod '66, and Roy Nagy '73 meet in the newly purchased sauna with funds donated to the Athletic Trust Fund.

1993-04-25

Shot of the dining room with event attendees.

1993-04-24

Howard Liberman Esq. '68 and Jeff Greenhawt '68, trustee.

1993-04-23

Helen Vogel '43, Patricia Neighbors Silverman '43 and Sy Silverman look over one of their old yearbooks.

1993-04-24

Shot of the dining room with event attendees.

1993-04-24

Members of class of 1942 at their reunion table. Aura Kern Kruger, Virginia Brown Richards, Helen Vogel Hunt, Elma Ina Lewis, Barbara Bowman Rowell, Shirley Newman Heiftiz, Patricia Neighbors and Adele Glazer Richards.

1993-04-24

Howard Liberman Esq. '68 and Jeff Greenhawt '68, trustee.

1993-04-23

Members of the class of '73 at the black jack table.

1993-04-24

Elma Lewis '43.

1993-04-25

Elizabeth Humes Thompson '28 and Sema UIlian.

1993-04-24

Lynn Sherkow Weber '68 purchases sweatshirt with her winnings.

1993-04-25

Elizabeth Humes Thompson '28 and Sema UIlian.

1993-04-24

Members of class of 1942 at their reunion table. Aura Kern Kruger, Virginia Brown Richards, Helen Vogel Hunt, Elma Ina Lewis, Barbara Bowman Rowell, Shirley Newman Heiftiz, Patricia Neighbors and Adele Glazer Richards.

1993-04-24

Lita Altea, executive secretary to Mark Kerwin in Business and Finance.

1990-02-28

Mary Kay Adams all dressed up, on the arm of a gentleman. Perhaps best known from her role on the daytime soap Guiding Light.

1986-05-15

Marie Langster Boone '21, wearing academic regalia, shows off her honorary degree. Pittsburgh Alumni event.

1988-09-17

Joseph Boren '69 in office. A leader in the environmental protection industry, Boren received an Alumni Achievement Award from Emerson in 1991.

1988-03-10

Photo portrait of Brooksbank at Group W. Headquarters, New York City. Secretary/Treasurer of the New York Alumni Club; Director, Commercial Standards & Practices.

Officer Arakelian in police uniform.

1992-09-10

Emerson alum, Douglas Arbetman '69, president of Reebok Apparel Division (from 1987 to 1989). In 1996, Mr. Arbetman was appointed to the Board of Overseers of Emerson College.

1987-05-13

Location: Student Union, Room 21.

1991-11-04

Photo portrait of Dr. Dorothy Aram. Vice President for Academic Affairs; Dean of School of Communication Sciences and Disorders.

1994-01-05

Photographs highlighting life at Emerson College over the years, includes images of students, faculty, staff, alumni, sporting events, lectures, reunions, and campus facilities.

1881 -

New York club president Frank Napal '69 congratulates Meredith Brown '76 with Outstanding Alumni Communications, 1985. Location: Limelight Club, New York, NY.

1985-05-14

Meredith Brown '76 addresses crowd of alumni, friends and guests at New York's Limelight Club for a May 14 "Super Suds" gala. Brown, executive editor of Soap Opera Digest, was honored at the event.

1985-05-14

Robert Ross '72 on stage at the mic at Greene St. Cafe.

1985-06-17

(L-R) Frank Napal '69 '70, Allen Koenig, Jane Guterman '73, Richard Pimes '73. Location: Cardoza Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida.

1988-02-13

Arthur Edes behind the podium looking at his watch; Three students stand at the microphone; Remaining students are seated. Arthur Edes was founder of the broadcasting department at Emerson College.

1934-05-01 - 1934-08-31

1986-04

1986-04-07

People at a welcome table possibly filling out "my name is." lapel stickers. Boston Yield Night held at First and Second Church.

1986-04-15

1986-03

1986-04-11

1986-03

1986-04-07

A file of Emerson athletics uniforms. Source folder dates image as prior to August 1985.

1980 - 1985

Formal photographic portrait of President McKinley. S. Justus McKinley graduated from Franklin and Marshall College and earned his AM and PhD degrees from Harvard. He was recruited by Emerson College in 1934 to head the History and Social Sciences Department. In 1946, he left Emerson for a professorship at Springfield College, citing differences of opinion with the administration of Boylston Green. After a nearly three-year period of turmoil following Green’s resignation, which included two failed interim presidencies, S. Justus McKinley was asked to return to Emerson to become its next president. McKinley returned to Emerson at a time when the College was in financial crisis and on the brink of collapse. Student morale was terrible and plagiarism was rampant. To combat these problems, he boosted student morale by attending every student production and making himself more visible and available to the student body. He also stressed the importance of academics over social clubs and extracurricular activities. He created two new departments, Broadcasting and Speech Therapy, both outgrowths of the Speech Department. In 1953, the College created the Samuel D. Robbins Speech Clinic in honor of the Emerson faculty member who started the Speech Department in 1935. That same year, the Broadcasting Department began offering courses in television production, and in 1954 the College built a state-of-the-art television studio. McKinley embarked on several successful fundraising campaigns throughout his term in office, which allowed the College to become financially stable and purchase several buildings. In 1965, Emerson acquired the Deertrees Theatre in Harrison, Maine, which served as a summer theater for Emerson students as well as students from other institutions.

1952

The interior of Emerson College's first classroom (then known as Monroe Conservatory or Oratory). Rows of wooden chairs face a small platform framed by drapery, with what appears to be a wood-burning stove on one wall. The doors are etched with the words, Monroe Conservatory.. In 1880, Charles W. Emerson opened the Boston Conservatory of Elocution, Oratory, and Dramatic Art at 13 Pemberton Sq. in Boston. Ten students enrolled in the first class. Within one year, the school was renamed the Monroe Conservatory of Oratory. At the time, Pemberton Square was a mixed use enclave of residences and businesses surrounding a small enclosed garden (resembling Beacon Hill's Louisburg Square). By 1885, the construction of a large courthouse changed the character of Pembertboron Square. This neighborhood is now part of Boston's Government Center, currently occupied by Suffolk University and the state and county courthouses. Our conservatory moved from here to 36 Bromfield Street in September 1886. Look closely at this photo to find a framed image of the State of Liberty hanging on the wall. The much-anticipated statue was constructed in France and shipped to New York Harbor around this time period, but not unveiled and dedicated until the month after our school moved away from this address.

1880 circa

Photographic portrait of President Turbeville sitting in a cushioned arm chair with one arm leaning on a rounded table. Turbeville wears a bold suit jacket with thick vertical stripes, and a necktie with bold geometric shapes. A bookcase and fireplace are on the wall behind him. Gus Turbeville was a graduate of Vanderbilt University and earned his AM degree from Louisiana State University and his PhD in social psychology from Michigan State University. He came to Emerson in the fall of 1975 from Coker College in Hartsville, South Carolina. President Turbeville consolidated various departments into divisions so they would operate more efficiently and effectively. The chairs of these divisions were elected by their departments, a first at Emerson. Turbeville felt a genuine concern for his students and faculty and was well liked by the students. He was able to connect with students on a daily basis because he lived on the 10th floor of the 100 Beacon Street dormitory and often dined in the student dining hall. Turbeville’s short presidency was marked by accomplishment, most notably bringing national visibility to the College through various public events that emphasized and increased its positive image.

1975

Photographic portrait of President Zacharis, seated in tall-backed cushioned arm chair with hands in his lap. John Zacharis earned his BS and MS degrees from Emerson College. After receiving his PhD at Indiana University, Zacharis returned to Emerson to teach in the Speech Department. He later took on the roles of dean of academic affairs and senior vice president before assuming the office of president. President Zacharis worked to reunite the Emerson community following the failed bid to move the campus to Lawrence, Massachusetts. His plan included improving Emerson’s facilities by purchasing buildings that would be more appropriate for classrooms, studios, and offices than the Back Bay brownstones. He also made a commitment to academic depth by adding diverse academic programs and highly qualified staff and faculty. In addition to the improvements on the Boston campus, Zacharis opened the European Institute of International Communication in Maastricht, The Netherlands in the fall of 1991. Unfortunately, President Zacharis was stricken with leukemia early in his presidency and passed away February 20, 1992.

1991

A formal photographic portrait of Boylston Green in an armchair, with the caption “President Green.” He wears a pinstriped suite, his hair is neatly combed and sits with fingers laced. Unlike his predecessors Emerson, Rolfe, Southwick and Ross, Boylston Green had no prior association with the College. Green received his AB and AM degrees from the University of South Carolina and his PhD in English from Yale University. He came to Emerson College from Middlebury College in Vermont and was the first president to have a doctoral degree. President Green established a Student Activities Committee, which aided in the creation of the student newspaper, The Berkeley Beacon, and WECB, the first college radio station. Shortly after the creation of WECB, a new radio station, WERS, received the first educational broadcasting license on the East Coast in 1949. After three years as president, Boylston Green left Emerson to become vice chancellor of the University of the South.

1946

A formal photographic portrait of Harry Seymour Ross. Harry Seymour Ross was born in East Haddam, Connecticut, in 1868 and attended Oberlin College before transferring to and completing his degree at Emerson College of Oratory. After graduation, he was hired by Worcester Academy as an instructor in elocution, English, and history. In 1908, President Southwick chose Ross to become the academic dean at Emerson, and they spent the next 24 years working closely together. Immediately following the death of President Southwick, Ross was elected acting president for the remainder of the 1932–33 academic year. Despite the Depression, President Ross was able to purchase 130 Beacon Street for classroom and administrative offices, and the property became the flagship building of Emerson’s Back Bay campus. With the decline of Chautauqua circuits, courses and degrees related to oratory fell out of favor. To keep the College curriculum relevant, Ross expanded it beyond oratory and dramatic arts to include courses in radio broadcasting and speech pathology, while strengthening the liberal arts curriculum by adding history, modern languages, philosophy, and religion courses. In 1937, the College awarded its first Bachelor of Arts degree, and by 1939, “of Oratory” was dropped from the College’s name. Ross created the College’s first theater in the Carriage House, located behind 128 and 130 Beacon Street. He resigned in May 1945, citing age and poor health.

1932 - 1945

Black and white photo of front facade of 96 Beacon Street with students on the front stoop. An American flag hangs above the entrance. Built in 1849, the building at 96 Beacon Street served as Emerson's student union from 1964 until 2006 and was used for small gatherings, rehearsals and other events. Info source: Berkeley Beacon (4/6/2006); Boston Business Journal (4/2/2014).

1960 - 1970

View of the Public Garden and the eastern end of Beacon Street through an upper floor window within the residence hall at 100 Beacon Street. In 1960, Emerson College sold 373 Commonwealth Avenue and acquired 100 Beacon Street. Emerson remodeled the c1924 building and converted it into a dormitory. It continued to be an Emerson College dormitory until 2006. Info source: http://backbayhouses.org/100-beacon/.

1960s - 1970s? circa

Photographic portrait of Jacqueline Weis Liebergott. The president sits in a cushioned armchair in front of a wood paneled fireplace. Jacqueline Weis Liebergott earned her BA degrees from the University of Maryland and her MS and PhD degrees from the University of Pittsburgh. She came to Emerson in 1970 as an assistant professor of communication sciences and disorders. In 1984, she was named dean of graduate studies and shortly thereafter became a vice president and academic dean. She became acting president in 1992 after the death of President Zacharis and was inaugurated in 1993. During her tenure, President Liebergott worked tirelessly to secure nine new buildings to create a new Boston campus. In 2008, the College purchased land in Los Angeles to build a new center, which will serve as a permanent base for Emerson’s Los Angeles program. Liebergott reorganized the academic departments and established a School of the Arts, a School of Communication, and an Institute for Liberal Arts and Interdisciplinary Studies. She doubled the size of the faculty and increased student enrollment, while also improving the College’s financial standing. During her tenure, the graduation rate increased by 28 percent. In 2003, the College completed a full restoration of the Majestic Theatre and in 2010 reopened the Paramount Theatre as a live performance venue. The restoration of these two theaters culminated in the creation of ArtsEmerson, which showcases first-class performances of theater, film, and music from all over the world. Liebergott revitalized the Athletics Department by building Emerson’s first gymnasium in the Piano Row residence hall in 2006 and partnering with the City of Boston to refurbish Rotch Playground.

Emerson College president Richard Chapin stands alongside five African-American students at a press conference. EBONI’s leader, Mooneyne Jackson-Amis appears to be speaking in this photo. A tabletop podium with microphone is in the foreground. Pictured left-to-right President Richard Chapin; unknown ; Mooneyne Jackson-Amis ; Pearlis Jones; unknown ; unknown. The student group EBONI (Emerson's Black Organization with Natural Interests) was formed in 1969. Led by Emerson senior, Mooneyne Jackson-Amis, the group presented a list of ten demands (originally framed as "proposals") to President Chapin. Tensions rose among students, faculty, and administrators until most of the demands were met. Some of the changes included adding courses on African-American history and culture to the curriculum, hiring African-American counselors and recruiters, increasing the number of African-American students, and offering soul food twice a month in the dining hall. Info sources: A Century of Eloquence; Berkeley Beacon (1/22/2015).

1969

1986-01

1986-02

1986-02-08

Powered by Preservica
Copyright 2016 © Emerson College