search archive
explore archive

2692 total results

In complete archive


Title
Description
Date

Five actors on stage. Man in light colored long jacket and top hat is pointing. The lead actress wears a large hoop skirt and bonnet. Directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. Department of Theatre Arts. Production dates: May 15 and 16, 1959, at New England Mutual Hall. Susan Lightbrown '61 (later Susan Lightbrown Sack) played the lead role of Evelina. Prior to attending Emerson College, Ms. Lightbrown was Miss Connecticut in the 1957 Miss America Pageant. The Fairfileld, CT Museum and History Center has a collection of her papers and photographs.

1959

Several actors on stage in formal attire. At center stage, a man appears to have fainted. The director offers direction. Directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. Department of Theatre Arts. Production dates: May 15 and 16, 1959, at New England Mutual Hall. Susan Lightbrown '61 (later Susan Lightbrown Sack) played the lead role of Evelina. Prior to attending Emerson College, Ms. Lightbrown was Miss Connecticut in the 1957 Miss America Pageant. The Fairfileld, CT Museum and History Center has a collection of her papers and photographs.

1959

Two actresses, seated, rehearse in a bare room. Directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. Department of Theatre Arts. Production dates: May 15 and 16, 1959, at New England Mutual Hall. Susan Lightbrown '61 (later Susan Lightbrown Sack) played the lead role of Evelina. Prior to attending Emerson College, Ms. Lightbrown was Miss Connecticut in the 1957 Miss America Pageant. The Fairfileld, CT Museum and History Center has a collection of her papers and photographs.

1959

Mr. Howlett, wearing clergy robe, stands at a pulpit, before a wall of pipes for a pipe organ.

1959

Mr. Howlett, wearing clergy robe, stands at a pulpit, before a wall of pipes for a pipe organ.

1959

Mr. Howlett, wearing clergy robe, stands behind a decorative pulpit, before a stained glass window.

1959

Young woman performs on a tiny stage at the front of a classroom while a seated girl watches and takes notes.

1958

Four sharply dressed students perform before a black curtain. Each stands or sits at one of four podiums.

1958

Unidentified young man in a suit seated at a desk, typing on an old typewriter.

1960

Unidentified young man in a suit seated at a desk. Phone receiver is off the hook. Old typewriter on second desk.

1960

Two students performing before a black curtain. Male in tuxedo leans on podium, while female clutches her white shawl.

1958

Empty studio at WERS shot across a table holding a table mic and globe.

1958

Two female actors in a bare room, one is seated. Directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. Department of Theatre Arts. Production dates: May 15 and 16, 1959, at New England Mutual Hall. Susan Lightbrown '61 (later Susan Lightbrown Sack) played the lead role of Evelina. Prior to attending Emerson College, Ms. Lightbrown was Miss Connecticut in the 1957 Miss America Pageant. The Fairfileld, CT Museum and History Center has a collection of her papers and photographs.

1959

Sideview of a man reading newswire feed from a teletype machine, under a "WERS NEWS" sign. Papers are tacked to the wall.

1958

Man talking on telephone while writing at a desk. Equipment, windows and radiators are behind him.

1958

Mans stands at a podium behind a microphone with the "WERS" call sign on top. Another man stands with copy in hand, his other hand raised and pointing.

1958

Two men stand at a wall of shelved vinyl records. One holds a clipboard.

1958

Two "United Press" teletype machines deliver newswire to WERS. On the wall, a sign reads "The World Today." Above the sign, four clocks displaying the time in Boston, London, Moscow and Tokyo.

1958

Man stands over teletype looking at the newswire feed under a "WERS NEWS" sign. Papers are tacked to the wall.

1958

Man stands with a clipboard looking at machinery.

1958

A desk full of radio broadcasting equipment, including a turntable.

1958

Charles Klim sitting at a desk. Dr. Charles Klim was an Emerson graduate, who returned to the college as a professor of speech pathology and remained for 33 years. He also chaired the Division of Communication Sciences and Disorders from 1964 to 1989 and was honored at Alumni Weekend 1992.

Man and woman sit in conversation at a small table in the radio studio with a hanging mic between them.

1958

Young man wearing glasses with his hands on the console at WERS. There is a reel-to-reel tape deck on the on the far side of the control board.

1958

1958

A desk full of radio broadcasting equipment, including a turntable.

1958

An elderly man and a younger man sit across a small table from each other with a microphone hanging between them. The older man has his hands on a large book on the table. Other people are visible through the window into another room.

1958

Man and woman sit casually at a small table in the radio studio with a hanging mic between them.

1958

An elderly man and a younger man sit across a small table from each other with a microphone hanging between them and a large book on the table.

1958

Mans stands at a podium behind a microphone with the "WERS" call sign on top. Another man stands with copy in hand, his other hand raised.

1958

Two "United Press" teletype machines deliver newswire to WERS. On the wall, a sign reads "The World Today." Above the sign, four clocks displaying the time in Boston, London, Moscow and Tokyo.

1958

Three men sit in conversation around a small table mic. Behind them stands a ribbon microphone with the "WERS" call sign on top.

1958

Man sits at a desk with a turntable in front and another behind him. He holds something with a cord to one ear. The vinyl record, Jazz for Dancers, sits on the desk.

1958

Several students on a sandy beach. This shot centers on someone playing a guitar.

1958

Emerson President S. Justus McKinley stands with two women, all dressed in graduation cap and gown regalia. Behind them are church pews and a cross.

1958

Emerson President S. Justus McKinley and three other men dressed in graduation cap and gown regalia. Behind them are church pews and a cross.

1958

Backs of a man and women dressed in graduation cap & gowns, walking up steps toward the Hatch Memorial Shell amphitheater on Boston's esplanade. Names of composers (Verdi, Dvorkak, Liszt, etc.) are etched into low stone walls.

1958

One man on stage, speaking expressively with hand raised, in front of a black curtain.

1958

Several graduates walk across the street at an intersection in Boston's Back Bay. The young man in front has his cap off. Intersection of Berkeley Street and Marlborough Street, in front of the First Lutheran Church.

1958

A young woman stands on stage, speaking expressively in front of a black curtain.

1958

Actors in performance. Barbara Dow '58 is pictured as the Western Dance Hall hostess. An old-fashioned melodrama, presented by Phi Mu Gamma & Phi Alpha Tau. Directed by Nancy Newman '57 [aka: Nancy Dolph, Emerson faculty].

1957

A theater technician backstage. The housing on a crank reads, "House Lights." An old-fashioned melodrama, presented by Phi Mu Gamma & Phi Alpha Tau. Directed by Nancy Newman.

1957

Actors on stage. An old-fashioned melodrama, presented by Phi Mu Gamma & Phi Alpha Tau. Directed by Nancy Newman. Barbara Dow '58 is pictured as the Western Dance Hall hostess.

1957

Harry Morgan. Unveiling. On the set of Love Rides the Rails, An old-fashioned melodrama, presented by Phi Mu Gamma & Phi Alpha Tau. Directed by Nancy Newman.

1957

Actors on stage. An old-fashioned melodrama, presented by Phi Mu Gamma & Phi Alpha Tau. Directed by Nancy Newman.

1957

Actors on stage. An old-fashioned melodrama, presented by Phi Mu Gamma & Phi Alpha Tau. Directed by Nancy Newman.

1957

Actors on stage. Sue and Dotty (Dorothy Geotis) rehearse for the play. An old-fashioned melodrama, presented by Phi Mu Gamma & Phi Alpha Tau. Directed by Nancy Newman.

1957

1958

Actors on stage. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Actors on stage with pit orchestra in foreground. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Actors on stage. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Actors on stage. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Actors on stage. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959

The cast of Pajama Game on stage. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Actors on stage. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Shirley Shay ’59 and Milt Monbleau ’59 make “Small Talk” in the kitchen. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Actors on stage. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Actors on stage. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Actors dancing on stage. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Actors on stage. Staged and directed by Leonidas A. Nickole. May 16-17, 1958.

1959-05

Meredith O'Gorman, of Kappa Gamma Chi, is crowned junior prom queen in 1957. Also pictured, Beverly Stone Gloven (May queen & prom attendant), Barbara Rosenthal (prom attendant, class treasurer, vice-president, Zeta Phil Eta), and possibly Richard Hamilton (class president, Phi Alpha Tau) and Elaine Zimmerman (Junior prom queen of 1956).

1957

Meredith O'Gorman, of Kappa Gamma Chi (seated, wearing tiara) on stage with her prom attendants Beverly Stone Gloven and Barbara Rosenthal.

1957

Birds-eye image shows several couples dancing on the dance floor.

1957

Meredith O'Gorman, of Kappa Gamma Chi (seated wearing tiara) with prom attendant Beverly Stone Gloven.

1957

Ms. Hunt, wearing headphones, operates a photograph turntable in the WERS radio studio.

1959

Ms. Hunt receives checks the latest newswire from the teletype machine at WERS radio.

1959

Ms. Hunt sits at a desk with clipboard in hand, in front of a microphone with acoustic tiling on the wall behind her.

1959

Ms. Hunt, standing, reads copy into WERS microphone.

1959

Wendy Schaffer (seated, wearing tiara) was junior prom queen in 1962. Also pictured, Madeline Beliz and others.

1962

Ms. Hunt sits at a desk with clipboard in hand, speaking into a microphone.

1959

Several people standing on a staircase. In foreground, Actress/philanthropist Helen Hayes and President McKinley.

1959

Man, woman and child on the steps outside the Robbins Center. A plaque on the exterior marks the buildings as: Emerson College: Samuel D. Robbins Speech Clinic. Speech audiology and pathology.

1958

Clinicians with a young girl wearing an audio headset connected to a record player. Samuel D. Robbins Speech Clinic.

1958

Clinicians with a young girl wearing an audio headset connected to a record player. Samuel D. Robbins Speech Clinic.

1958

Clinicians with a young girl wearing an audio headset connected to a record player. Samuel D. Robbins Speech Clinic.

1958

Haig der Marderosian '54 stands on stage, speaking, with a white cowboy hat in his hand. Three people are on stage behind him. Banner above the stage reads, "KAPPA KORRA." From http://www.phialphatau.com/history: "Haig der Marderosian. Led many an Emerson debate team to regional and national championships. Room 501 in the Walker Building was re-dedicated to him in 2002 after the College sold 21 Commonwealth Avenue which contained the original Haig der Marderosian Room. Haig was an advisor to the [Phi Alpha Tau] fraternity twice during his tenure as a professor, from 1960 to 1968 and again from 1980 to 1984. Like Joe Connor, Haig entered the fraternity as an Emerson student.".

1960

Haig der Marderosian stands on stage, holding up a piece of paper. Young women dressed as cowgirls behind him. Banner above the stage reads, "KAPPA KORRAL." From http://www.phialphatau.com/history: "Haig der Marderosian. Led many an Emerson debate team to regional and national championships. Room 501 in the Walker Building was re-dedicated to him in 2002 after the College sold 21 Commonwealth Avenue which contained the original Haig der Marderosian Room. Haig was an advisor to the [Phi Alpha Tau] fraternity twice during his tenure as a professor, from 1960 to 1968 and again from 1980 to 1984. Like Joe Connor, Haig entered the fraternity as an Emerson student.".

1960

Two young women on stage dressed as cowgirls. Banner above the stage reads, KAPPA KORRAL.

1960

Backstage, a man operates a vintage switchboard.

1960

Several happy people in-action around a small round table. Two women, seated, wear hats.

1960

Haig der Marderosian '54 points at a notice posted on the "Debating" board at the foot of a stairwell while three male students look on. From http://www.phialphatau.com/history: "Haig der Marderosian. Led many an Emerson debate team to regional and national championships. Room 501 in the Walker Building was re-dedicated to him in 2002 after the College sold 21 Commonwealth Avenue which contained the original Haig der Marderosian Room. Haig was an advisor to the [Phi Alpha Tau] fraternity twice during his tenure as a professor, from 1960 to 1968 and again from 1980 to 1984. Like Joe Connor, Haig entered the fraternity as an Emerson student.".

1954

Globe on desk next to audio equipment and microphone.

1958

Young man sits at sound operations device. There's an "On Air" sign on the wall and an empty reel-to-reel machine.

1958

Young man at studio console, points at someone on the other side of the window. There are two turntables next to him, and a reel-to-reel deck behind him.

1958

Woman, smiling, wearing headphones, sits on a cushioned bench, operating a small control box, presumably for sound. There is a microphone on the table, a curved ornamental rail behind her, and a man standing at an organ.

1958

Man stands smiling with hand held up. A man in a bowtie plays the organ.

1958

Woman wearing headphones operates a small control box, presumably for sound. There is a microphone on the table and a curved ornamental rail behind her. A man sits at an organ in the background.

1958

Ms. Hunt selects a Flamenco record from a wall of vinyl LPs.

1959

A seated audience. Young man holding cigarette in foreground. From http://www.phialphatau.com/history: "Haig der Marderosian. Led many an Emerson debate team to regional and national championships. Room 501 in the Walker Building was re-dedicated to him in 2002 after the College sold 21 Commonwealth Avenue which contained the original Haig der Marderosian Room. Haig was an advisor to the [Phi Alpha Tau] fraternity twice during his tenure as a professor, from 1960 to 1968 and again from 1980 to 1984. Like Joe Connor, Haig entered the fraternity as an Emerson student.".

1960

Man holds on end of headphone to his ear while reading album liner notes from a vinyl record sleeve.

1958

Woman wearing headphones operates a small control box. Behind her is an ornamental rail. A man is seated at the same table reading something in his hand.

1958

Woman wearing headphones operates a small control box. There is an ornamental rail between her and organ pipes. A man plays the organ. A microphone sits high on an extended mic stand in the foreground.

1958

Ms. Hunt at the broadcast audio console at WERS, holding a clipboard. Percy Faith's LP, My Fair Lady sits on the desk.

1959

Ms. Hunt at the broadcast audio console at WERS, holding a clipboard. Percy Faith's LP, My Fair Lady sits on the desk.

1959

Two stacked photos of The Paramount Theatre's main house, before and after renovation. The land on which the Paramount stands has a history of earlier performance spaces dating back to 1836. Former spaces include the Melodeon, Gaiety, and Bijou. The Paramount Theatre first opened its doors on February 25, 1932 as one of the premiere art deco movie palaces built by Paramount Studios, but it closed in 1976 and fell into disrepair. Emerson purchased the building in 2005. Architects from the firm Elkus Manfredi worked with Evergreene Architectural Arts to replicate the paint and decorative motifs throughout the theatre and restore it to its original appearance. Emerson College reopened the Paramount Theatre to the public in March 2010. Today, the Paramount Center includes the adjoining "arcade" building providing theater space, film screening room, rehearsal rooms, classrooms, and a dormitory. Info sources: Boston Globe (3/3/2010); ArtsEmerson.org; Emerson.edu (Paramount Mainstage).

2000 - 2015

Architect's rendering of the 2-story Chickering Hall building with the caption, Our New Home. The first floor is defined by a series of five arches. The drawing includes a horse-drawn carriage on the street. In 1901, the College moved to Chickering Hall, 239 Huntington Ave, where it would stay for only ten years. The Emerson community welcomed the move to this Back Bay location near Symphony Hall. The decision to relocate from the College’s previous address was due in large part to safety concerns. Emerson’s Odd Fellows Hall in the South End was troubled with high rates of crime. From A Century of Eloquence: “The college rented the entire second floor of Chickering Hall which provided nine spacious, well lighted and ventilated classrooms, two of which were small lecture halls (40x22ft), each complete with a platform. After 1903, a portrait of Dr. Emerson, presented by the graduating class of that year, hung in the corridor. Six marble stairways with wrought-iron balustrades led to the second floor. The first floor held the library and the school’s administrative offices, and morning lectures were held in the “superb hall on the first floor, which seated 800.” During this period, Boston caterer D. M. Shooshan’s Ladies and Gent’s Cafe also occupied space on the first floor of Chickering Hall at the address 241-243. An ad in the Emerson College Magazine [Vol. 19] described it as a “First-class restaurant, also a choice line of confectionery. Ice cream and fancy baking of all kinds.” Chickering Hall was owned by piano manufacturing company, Chickering & Sons. It was designed by architectural firm Peabody & Stearns for use as an 800-seat concert venue. After Emerson’s departure the hall was expanded and re-opened in 1912 as the 1,600-seat vaudeville and film venue named St. James Theatre, operated by Marcus. In the 1920s, it become a popular stock company stage, and in the 1930s it was renamed the Uptown Theatre, operating as a movie theatre and catering to college students with second-run movies. The building was demolished in 1963.

1901

Powered by Preservica
Copyright 2016 © Emerson College