search archive
explore archive

2726 total results

In complete archive


Title
Description
Date

Basketball game, indoor court. Source folder dates image as prior to August 1985.

1980 - 1985

Group shot, in front of Castle Well, Holland. Emerson College's Musical Theatre Society toured Europe with their presentation and received standing ovations in the Hague, Bonn and Venlo. Venlo performance venue was Maaspoort theatre, on June 10 and 11).

1988-05-01 - 1988-08-31

Little Building exterior from the east side along Tremont Street. 80 Boylston St., Boston, MA. The building was designed by Clarence Blackall and commissioned by John Mason Little in 1917.

1994-02-01

Actors in performance. Titania is played by Nancy Ellis. Location: 69 Brimmer St., Boston, MA.

1987-12

Two well-dressed students, male and female, at a formal function, holding cups. Source folder dates image as prior to August 1985.

1980 - 1999

A file of Emerson athletics uniforms. Source folder dates image as prior to August 1985.

1980 - 1985

A man walks through the arcade and under the interior vaulted ceiling on the first floor of the Little Building. 80 Boylston St., Boston, MA. The building was designed by Clarence Blackall and commissioned by John Mason Little in 1917.

1994-11-03

Press photos of actors, loosely arranged pile. Emerson graduates in the acting profession.

1988-12

Basketball game, indoor court. Source folder dates image as prior to August 1985.

1980 - 1985

Richard L. Kaye, president of WCRB with Wanda Bigham, acting vice president for development at Emerson College, and Rev. Theodore Jones, vice chairman of WCRB. Photo taken during the 75th birthday celebration of founder, Theodore Jones. Location: Copley Plaza Hotel.

1986-03-25

One person working out in a weight room. Source folder dates image as prior to August 1985.

1980 - 1985

Basketball game, indoor court. Source folder dates image as prior to August 1985.

1980 - 1985

Sports trophies and photos lined up on a shelf. Source folder dates image as prior to August 1985.

1980 - 1985

"Grip and grin" posed photos. Inductees (6 of 7 attended the event): Gail Barringer, Todd J. Grant, Robert Hanflis, Tracey A. Libby, Jo Anne London, Lori Matte. Regional Director: Donna Walcovy; Faculty Advisor: George Quinzel. Sponsored by National Broadcasting Society.

1991-03-27

"Grip and grin" posed photos. Inductees (6 of 7 attended the event): Gail Barringer, Todd J. Grant, Robert Hanflis, Tracey A. Libby, Jo Anne London, Lori Matte. Regional Director: Donna Walcovy; Faculty Advisor: George Quinzel. Sponsored by National Broadcasting Society.

1991-03-27

"Grip and grin" posed photos. Inductees (6 of 7 attended the event): Gail Barringer, Todd J. Grant, Robert Hanflis, Tracey A. Libby, Jo Anne London, Lori Matte. Regional Director: Donna Walcovy; Faculty Advisor: George Quinzel. Sponsored by National Broadcasting Society.

1991-03-27

"Grip and grin" posed photos. Inductees (6 of 7 attended the event): Gail Barringer, Todd J. Grant, Robert Hanflis, Tracey A. Libby, Jo Anne London, Lori Matte. Regional Director: Donna Walcovy; Faculty Advisor: George Quinzel. Sponsored by National Broadcasting Society.

1991-03-27

"Grip and grin" posed photos. Inductees (6 of 7 attended the event): Gail Barringer, Todd J. Grant, Robert Hanflis, Tracey A. Libby, Jo Anne London, Lori Matte. Regional Director: Donna Walcovy; Faculty Advisor: George Quinzel. Sponsored by National Broadcasting Society.

1991-03-27

"Grip and grin" posed photos. Inductees (6 of 7 attended the event): Gail Barringer, Todd J. Grant, Robert Hanflis, Tracey A. Libby, Jo Anne London, Lori Matte. Regional Director: Donna Walcovy; Faculty Advisor: George Quinzel. Sponsored by National Broadcasting Society.

1991-03-27

"Grip and grin" posed photos. Inductees (6 of 7 attended the event): Gail Barringer, Todd J. Grant, Robert Hanflis, Tracey A. Libby, Jo Anne London, Lori Matte. Regional Director: Donna Walcovy; Faculty Advisor: George Quinzel. Sponsored by National Broadcasting Society.

1991-03-27

"Grip and grin" posed photos. Inductees (6 of 7 attended the event): Gail Barringer, Todd J. Grant, Robert Hanflis, Tracey A. Libby, Jo Anne London, Lori Matte. Regional Director: Donna Walcovy; Faculty Advisor: George Quinzel. Sponsored by National Broadcasting Society.

1991-03-27

"Grip and grin" posed photos. Inductees (6 of 7 attended the event): Gail Barringer, Todd J. Grant, Robert Hanflis, Tracey A. Libby, Jo Anne London, Lori Matte. Regional Director: Donna Walcovy; Faculty Advisor: George Quinzel. Sponsored by National Broadcasting Society.

1991-03-27

"Grip and grin" posed photos. Inductees (6 of 7 attended the event): Gail Barringer, Todd J. Grant, Robert Hanflis, Tracey A. Libby, Jo Anne London, Lori Matte. Regional Director: Donna Walcovy; Faculty Advisor: George Quinzel. Sponsored by National Broadcasting Society.

1991-03-27

Informal photo of President Chapin in an office with a row of windows behind him. Chapin sits sideways with his arm hanging over the settee. In his right hand he holds what appears to be a pipe for smoking. Richard Chapin was a graduate of Harvard College and received his MBA from Harvard as well. He served as assistant dean for educational planning at Harvard’s Graduate School of Business Administration before arriving at Emerson in the midst of a socially turbulent time. Despite social unrest on campus and around the world, President Chapin was able to promote the College’s academic advancement as well as continue the expansion of its campus and its finances. Chapin addressed the problem of hiring and retaining faculty members with PhDs to continue the College’s accreditation by NEASC. To give the faculty a voice and provide a more democratic governance of the College, he approved the creation of a Faculty Assembly in 1969. He also helped enhance the College’s curriculum by reorganizing departments and revising the general requirements for an undergraduate degree.

1962 - 1980

President Koenig sits behind a desk or table. He looks away from the camera and holds eyeglasses in his hand. There are folders, papers and coffee cups on the table. Allen Koenig received his BA degree from the University of Southern California, his MA degree from Stanford University, and his PhD in speech communication from Northwestern University. He came to Emerson from the University of Southern California’s Idyllwild campus, where he served as executive director. President Koenig turned an eye toward academic excellence by increasing the percentage of faculty with terminal degrees from 46 percent to 72 percent. In addition, the student body grew by 66 percent during his presidency. Koenig continued to expand the Boston campus to meet the needs of faculty and students with the purchase of the Majestic Theatre in 1983, as well as several other buildings in the Back Bay area. The Majestic Theatre was restored over a period of several years and in 1989 reopened as a live performance theater with the student musical George M! During his presidency, Koenig worked to secure land in Lawrence, Massachusetts, in a bid to build an entirely new and unified campus. But by 1989, a move to Lawrence was deemed unfeasible, due to financial constraints and dissent from the Emerson community. Despite the failed bid to move Emerson out of Boston, Koenig was still able to expand the College’s reach. In 1985, a formal overseas program began in The Netherlands at Kasteel Well, purchased by Emerson in 1988. In 1986, Emerson began its Los Angeles program for students seeking internships and networking opportunities on the West Coast; the program continues to this day.

1979

Formal photographic portrait of President McKinley. S. Justus McKinley graduated from Franklin and Marshall College and earned his AM and PhD degrees from Harvard. He was recruited by Emerson College in 1934 to head the History and Social Sciences Department. In 1946, he left Emerson for a professorship at Springfield College, citing differences of opinion with the administration of Boylston Green. After a nearly three-year period of turmoil following Green’s resignation, which included two failed interim presidencies, S. Justus McKinley was asked to return to Emerson to become its next president. McKinley returned to Emerson at a time when the College was in financial crisis and on the brink of collapse. Student morale was terrible and plagiarism was rampant. To combat these problems, he boosted student morale by attending every student production and making himself more visible and available to the student body. He also stressed the importance of academics over social clubs and extracurricular activities. He created two new departments, Broadcasting and Speech Therapy, both outgrowths of the Speech Department. In 1953, the College created the Samuel D. Robbins Speech Clinic in honor of the Emerson faculty member who started the Speech Department in 1935. That same year, the Broadcasting Department began offering courses in television production, and in 1954 the College built a state-of-the-art television studio. McKinley embarked on several successful fundraising campaigns throughout his term in office, which allowed the College to become financially stable and purchase several buildings. In 1965, Emerson acquired the Deertrees Theatre in Harrison, Maine, which served as a summer theater for Emerson students as well as students from other institutions.

1952

Front facade of building circa 1963 with neoclassical architectural elements. A Volkswagen beetle is parked on the street. Originally built as a home in 1904-1905, this structure at 150 Beacon Street replaced a house that was the residence of Boston arts benefactor, Isabella Stewart Gardner. 150 Beacon was designed by architect Alexander W. Longfellow, Jr., the nephew of the famous poet. In April 1961, Emerson College purchased 150 Beacon Street and converted it into dormitory and dining hall with a library on the upper floor. The college sold 150 Beacon in 1976.

1963 circa

Actors on stage among forest scenery. Alice in Wonderland performed by the Emerson College Children’s Theatre group and directed by Imogen Hogle on Oct. 18, 1919 at Huntington Chambers Hall. The nation's first collegiate level program in Children's Theater was established at Emerson College in 1919.

1919-10

Two smartly-dressed young men in a room before a large glass window. One sits at a small table. He appears to be reading copy into a single tabletop microphone. The other sits behind a larger desk built around audio equipment. He's got two turntables and a microphone. Two turntables and a microphone. In 1949, the Broadcasting Division received FCC approval for an educational broadcasting license; Emerson’s student-operated radio station WERS went on the air for the first time with 10 watts power.

1949

Photographic portrait of President Turbeville sitting in a cushioned arm chair with one arm leaning on a rounded table. Turbeville wears a bold suit jacket with thick vertical stripes, and a necktie with bold geometric shapes. A bookcase and fireplace are on the wall behind him. Gus Turbeville was a graduate of Vanderbilt University and earned his AM degree from Louisiana State University and his PhD in social psychology from Michigan State University. He came to Emerson in the fall of 1975 from Coker College in Hartsville, South Carolina. President Turbeville consolidated various departments into divisions so they would operate more efficiently and effectively. The chairs of these divisions were elected by their departments, a first at Emerson. Turbeville felt a genuine concern for his students and faculty and was well liked by the students. He was able to connect with students on a daily basis because he lived on the 10th floor of the 100 Beacon Street dormitory and often dined in the student dining hall. Turbeville’s short presidency was marked by accomplishment, most notably bringing national visibility to the College through various public events that emphasized and increased its positive image.

1975

Photographic portrait of Emerson’s second president. Rolfe is shown with metal-rim glasses, black suit & bowtie, white hair and a moustache. William James Rolfe was born in 1827 in Massachusetts. He attended Amherst College and Kirkwood Academy in Maryland before becoming an instructor at Day’s Academy in Wrentham, Massachusetts. By the time Rolfe assumed the presidency of Emerson College in 1903, he was 75 years old and was an internationally famous scholar. He worked mainly to advise the students and serve as a role model. According to Henry Lawrence Southwick, Rolfe was the “pioneer in introducing the study of English into the curriculum of American schools.” Rolfe’s greatest accomplishment was his work on the plays of William Shakespeare. In 1904, he published Shakespeare the Boy, a 550-page book on Shakespeare's life.

1903 circa

Photographic portrait of President Zacharis, seated in tall-backed cushioned arm chair with hands in his lap. John Zacharis earned his BS and MS degrees from Emerson College. After receiving his PhD at Indiana University, Zacharis returned to Emerson to teach in the Speech Department. He later took on the roles of dean of academic affairs and senior vice president before assuming the office of president. President Zacharis worked to reunite the Emerson community following the failed bid to move the campus to Lawrence, Massachusetts. His plan included improving Emerson’s facilities by purchasing buildings that would be more appropriate for classrooms, studios, and offices than the Back Bay brownstones. He also made a commitment to academic depth by adding diverse academic programs and highly qualified staff and faculty. In addition to the improvements on the Boston campus, Zacharis opened the European Institute of International Communication in Maastricht, The Netherlands in the fall of 1991. Unfortunately, President Zacharis was stricken with leukemia early in his presidency and passed away February 20, 1992.

1991

Historical photo of the Majestic theater with sign that reads: "Emerson College: Theatre soon." The Majestic Theatre first opened its doors in 1903. The building was designed by John Galen Howard and the interior shows off gloriously ornate Beaux-Arts architectural style. In 1955, the theater was sold to Sack Cinemas and served as the Saxon movie theater for nearly 30 years. You can still see the old Saxon vertical sign in this photo. By the time it was purchased by Emerson College in 1983, the theater had fallen into considerable disrepair. Emerson spent 20 years restoring the Majestic to its former glory and reopened the Cutler Majestic Theatre at Emerson College in May 2003.

Photographic portrait of Godfrey Dewey. Dewey wears wire-rim glasses, a three-piece suit, and a serious expression. In the photo, shadows cross Dewey’s face and upper body in horizontal lines, possibly from sun through window blinds. When Emerson president Boylston Green resigned in 1949, Godfrey Dewey (pictured) served as Acting President until February, 1951. Dewey was an educator and spelling reformer, and the founder and first president the Phonetic Spelling Council. He was a skier who designed ski jumps and was largely responsible for the successful bid to hold the 1932 Winter Olympic Games in Lake Placid, New York. He was the son of Melvil Dewey, the founder of the Dewey decimal system. Info source: Expression Magazine of Emerson College; Godfrey Dewey Papers (Columbia University Archives).

1949

A formal photographic portrait of Boylston Green in an armchair, with the caption “President Green.” He wears a pinstriped suite, his hair is neatly combed and sits with fingers laced. Unlike his predecessors Emerson, Rolfe, Southwick and Ross, Boylston Green had no prior association with the College. Green received his AB and AM degrees from the University of South Carolina and his PhD in English from Yale University. He came to Emerson College from Middlebury College in Vermont and was the first president to have a doctoral degree. President Green established a Student Activities Committee, which aided in the creation of the student newspaper, The Berkeley Beacon, and WECB, the first college radio station. Shortly after the creation of WECB, a new radio station, WERS, received the first educational broadcasting license on the East Coast in 1949. After three years as president, Boylston Green left Emerson to become vice chancellor of the University of the South.

1946

Exterior front view of the building. A sign above the entry reads “Hotel Ericson.” Two small barren trees on the sidewalk frame the building. The flagpole is empty. The front end of an automobile is visible, parked on the street. In 1927, Emerson College of Oratory purchased its first piece of real estate at 373 Commonwealth Ave. It would be known as Emerson College Residence. For Emerson students, the new address replaced five rented dormitory buildings. The six-story stone and brick building stood directly across the street from the Harvard Club. It would remain a dormitory building for Emerson women from 1928 through 1960. Info source: Century of Eloquence ; BAC Catalogue; Gillach Group; BackBayHouses.org.

1928

David Wong Louie gives a reading from his book during the John C. Zacharis First Book Award presentation at the First and Second Church, Boston on December 4, 1991. Sponsored by Emerson College, Ploughshares, and the Writing Department. Photo by Karen Couture. David Wong Louie became the first recipient of the Zacharis Book Award for his collection of short stories, Pangs of Love. The annual award was created by Ploughshares literary magazine to honor an outstanding debut book of short fiction or poetry.

1991-12-04

Emerson's Debate Council: Gertrude Hubbard '56, Vincent Bevilacqua '57, John Pietromonaco '58, Haig Marderosian '54, Otilio Gorospe, Jr., pose with their trophy from a 1955 debate tournament.

1955

Emerson trustee Helen Rose stands on a grand staircase wearing a polka dot dress. In 1994, the Cecil and Helen Rose Ethics in Communication Scholarship was established through a $300,000 contribution. It is the first endowed full-tuition scholarship in Emerson's history. Helen Rose was an Emerson graduate and trustee, an advocate for the deaf, and a dedicated friend to Emerson College. Photo by Karen Couture.

1994

Young man in a construction helmet leans through a hole in a wall. A sticker on the wall reads, "WERS 88.9," and handwritten above that is, "The New Home of." In 1998, WERS relocated from 180 Beacon Street to the Ansin building at 180 Tremont St., where it remains today (2015). It would be the first Emerson building project completely funded by gifts. At the time, WERS was Boston's only radio station with street-level windowed studios.

1998

From the John C. Zacharis First Book Award ceremony on Dec. 4, 1991, Emerson College president John Zacharis stands for a photo with members of the award committee. The annual John C. Zacharis First Book Award honors an outstanding debut book of short fiction or poetry. The author David Wong Louise (not pictured) was first to receive the award for his collections of short stories, Pangs of Love.

1991

Norman Lear, seated, speaking with others in a living room with a fireplace. A microphone is set up on the coffee table.

1973

Ten actors lined up on stage in flamboyant costume. Four wear masks. A man holding a top hat speaking or singing. Emerson College brought "Lady in the Dark" to the stage for the school's first Annual Spring Musical in 1954. Music by Kurt Weill, lyrics by Ira Gershwin, and book by Moss Hart. In the same year, NBC broadcast their Max Liebman Presents production of "Lady in the Dark" as a live television special.

1954

A formal photographic portrait of Harry Seymour Ross. Harry Seymour Ross was born in East Haddam, Connecticut, in 1868 and attended Oberlin College before transferring to and completing his degree at Emerson College of Oratory. After graduation, he was hired by Worcester Academy as an instructor in elocution, English, and history. In 1908, President Southwick chose Ross to become the academic dean at Emerson, and they spent the next 24 years working closely together. Immediately following the death of President Southwick, Ross was elected acting president for the remainder of the 1932–33 academic year. Despite the Depression, President Ross was able to purchase 130 Beacon Street for classroom and administrative offices, and the property became the flagship building of Emerson’s Back Bay campus. With the decline of Chautauqua circuits, courses and degrees related to oratory fell out of favor. To keep the College curriculum relevant, Ross expanded it beyond oratory and dramatic arts to include courses in radio broadcasting and speech pathology, while strengthening the liberal arts curriculum by adding history, modern languages, philosophy, and religion courses. In 1937, the College awarded its first Bachelor of Arts degree, and by 1939, “of Oratory” was dropped from the College’s name. Ross created the College’s first theater in the Carriage House, located behind 128 and 130 Beacon Street. He resigned in May 1945, citing age and poor health.

1932 - 1945

A view through the window from inside control room. Two men are in the control room and four are in the live room. Motorola equipment and a grand piano are pictured. Photo imprint reads: "c1955, Arber-French & Co., Boston, Mass." WERS-TV presented the station's first closed circuit television (CCTV) program in 1955.

1955

Black and white photo of front facade of 96 Beacon Street with students on the front stoop. An American flag hangs above the entrance. Built in 1849, the building at 96 Beacon Street served as Emerson's student union from 1964 until 2006 and was used for small gatherings, rehearsals and other events. Info source: Berkeley Beacon (4/6/2006); Boston Business Journal (4/2/2014).

1960 - 1970

View of the Public Garden and the eastern end of Beacon Street through an upper floor window within the residence hall at 100 Beacon Street. In 1960, Emerson College sold 373 Commonwealth Avenue and acquired 100 Beacon Street. Emerson remodeled the c1924 building and converted it into a dormitory. It continued to be an Emerson College dormitory until 2006. Info source: http://backbayhouses.org/100-beacon/.

1960s - 1970s? circa

Interior of the timber-framed carriage house, set up with rows of folding chairs, stage lighting and tapestries. View of the main house from the stage. The college's very first theater, dubbed the Emerson College Theater, opened in 1936 in a repurposed carriage house behind the 128-130 Beacon Street buildings of the Back Bay. Info source: “Carriage House, 1936,” ECHO: Emerson College History Online, accessed July 27, 2016, http://emersonhistory.omeka.net/items/show/229.

1936

Student on the front steps of 130 Beacon. Property signage displays the new name, "Emerson College, established 1880," as well as directional signage pointing the way to "FM station WERS" and "Drama workshop in rear." Originally built as private residences, 130 Beacon was part of a group of Back Bay buildings held by Emerson College. The college purchased 130 Beacon in 1933 to house administrative offices and classrooms. It became the flagship building of Emerson's Back Bay campus and over the years would also served as the base for The Emerson Review, The Berkeley Beacon and EIV, as well as the college library and a television studio. President Ross created the college's first theater in the Carriage House, located behind 128 and 130 Beacon. In 1939, the name of the institution was shortened from Emerson College of Oratory to Emerson College to coincide with expanded course offerings. 130 Beacon was a popular student hangout known as the Wall. Upon learning that Emerson was selling all of the college’s west side properties and relocating to complete the vision of the "Campus on the Common," Emerson students, staff, and faculty lamented the loss of the Beacon Street buildings for their character which lent itself to a unique sense of community. "I guess if you ask anyone from Emerson from the Beacon Street era, they would say The Wall was one of the best things about Emerson. It was like our Facebook. Behind The Wall was a huge sheet stretched between posts. All the events and news were posted daily. It was the central gathering point for campus life." - Barbara Ruthberg, BS '68. Info sources: Berkeley Beacon (10/19/2005); Emerson.edu webpages: Past-presidents, Editorial style guide, Memories of the Library; online video: "Pete Chvany reminisces at the wall.”.

1950 - 1959

Photographic portrait of Charles Wesley Emerson wearing a coat with a large furry collar. Charles Wesley Emerson was born in 1837 and raised in Vermont. He began preaching at age 19 at the Congregationalist Church in West Halifax, Vermont, and continued to preach at the Unitarian Church in Chelsea, Massachusetts, while attending the school of oratory at Boston University. Although he carried the title of “Dr.,” Emerson did not earn a doctoral degree, but earned several honorary degrees that provided him with the title. Emerson founded the Boston Conservatory of Elocution, Oratory, and Dramatic Art in 1880 with 10 students at 13 Pemberton Square. Emerson’s school opened one year after Boston University’s school of oratory closed, following the death of Lewis B. Monroe, Emerson’s mentor and former professor. The college’s curriculum was rooted in the theories and writings of Delsarte and Swedenborg, which Emerson studied under Professor Monroe. In 1881, Emerson changed the name of the school to the Monroe Conservatory of Oratory; the school was renamed the Emerson College of Oratory in 1891 after several students and alumni demanded the name be changed to honor its founder. By 1902, Dr. Emerson was in ill health and officially resigned his position as president of the College by the end of the year.

1880 - 1908

Exterior of Charlesgate Hall with turret-like architectural features; South side from Marlborough Street. Emerson students were housed at Charlesgate Hall in the 1980s and early 1990s. The building was originally opened in the late 19th century as the Charlesgate Hotel, designed by architect J. Pickering Putnam as the centerpiece of Kenmore Square. The luxury hotel was a premiere location during Boston's gilded age. The building consists of three addresses: Four Charlesgate East, 535 Beacon Street, and Ten Charlesgate East. Emerson College purchased the building from Boston University in 1981 and sold it in 1995 when Emerson dorms were moved to the Little Building. Numerous student reports of supernatural activity over the years have given Charlesgate a reputation as one of the most haunted locations in Boston.

1985

Norman Lear at the podium. Norman Lear was the keynote speaker at the conference "TV and Ethics: Who's Responsible," held at the Sheraton-Boston Hotel.

1984-12-06 - 1984-12-07

Photographic portrait of Jacqueline Weis Liebergott. The president sits in a cushioned armchair in front of a wood paneled fireplace. Jacqueline Weis Liebergott earned her BA degrees from the University of Maryland and her MS and PhD degrees from the University of Pittsburgh. She came to Emerson in 1970 as an assistant professor of communication sciences and disorders. In 1984, she was named dean of graduate studies and shortly thereafter became a vice president and academic dean. She became acting president in 1992 after the death of President Zacharis and was inaugurated in 1993. During her tenure, President Liebergott worked tirelessly to secure nine new buildings to create a new Boston campus. In 2008, the College purchased land in Los Angeles to build a new center, which will serve as a permanent base for Emerson’s Los Angeles program. Liebergott reorganized the academic departments and established a School of the Arts, a School of Communication, and an Institute for Liberal Arts and Interdisciplinary Studies. She doubled the size of the faculty and increased student enrollment, while also improving the College’s financial standing. During her tenure, the graduation rate increased by 28 percent. In 2003, the College completed a full restoration of the Majestic Theatre and in 2010 reopened the Paramount Theatre as a live performance venue. The restoration of these two theaters culminated in the creation of ArtsEmerson, which showcases first-class performances of theater, film, and music from all over the world. Liebergott revitalized the Athletics Department by building Emerson’s first gymnasium in the Piano Row residence hall in 2006 and partnering with the City of Boston to refurbish Rotch Playground.

Seated, Dorothy Morris; standing, left to right, Belle Sylvester and Ruth Campbell. Under the leadership of Dean Harry S. Ross, the first Emerson course in radio broadcasting was offered by Arthur F. Edes, program director at WEEI, Boston (1932). Info source: www.emerson.edu (Iwasaki library: A short history of Emerson College).

1930 - 1949

The second EVVYs ceremony, held in 1983. A man and woman stand behind a modern white podium, smiling and applauding. The very first EVVY awards were held in 1982. The EVVYs were created to recognize student achievement in television and video. Decades later, this annual awards program has evolved into the largest student award show in the nation, showcasing the work of Emerson students in nearly every area of study offered at the college. Info source: NewEnglandFilm.com.

1983

Emerson College president Richard Chapin stands alongside five African-American students at a press conference. EBONI’s leader, Mooneyne Jackson-Amis appears to be speaking in this photo. A tabletop podium with microphone is in the foreground. Pictured left-to-right President Richard Chapin; unknown ; Mooneyne Jackson-Amis ; Pearlis Jones; unknown ; unknown. The student group EBONI (Emerson's Black Organization with Natural Interests) was formed in 1969. Led by Emerson senior, Mooneyne Jackson-Amis, the group presented a list of ten demands (originally framed as "proposals") to President Chapin. Tensions rose among students, faculty, and administrators until most of the demands were met. Some of the changes included adding courses on African-American history and culture to the curriculum, hiring African-American counselors and recruiters, increasing the number of African-American students, and offering soul food twice a month in the dining hall. Info sources: A Century of Eloquence; Berkeley Beacon (1/22/2015).

1969

Samuel Robbins, standing, holds what may be anatomical model of the larynx, observed by four students closely seated in a semi-circle. In 1935, Emerson College sponsored the first professional training program in Speech Pathology in the United States. Info sources: A century of eloquence; Duchan, J. (2011, May 12); Sies & Schwimmer: Today's Speech.

Norman Lear at the podium. Norman Lear was the keynote speaker at the conference "TV and Ethics: Who's Responsible," held at the Sheraton-Boston Hotel.

1984-12-06 - 1984-12-07

Pictured L-R: Emerson president John Zacharis, Ploughshares editor-in-chief Ladette Randolph, and Ploughshares co-founder DeWitt Henry. Ploughshares literary magazine created the John C. Zacharis Book Award to honor an outstanding debut book of short fiction or poetry. The first Zacharis award went to David Wong Louie (not pictured) in 1991 for his collection of short stories, Pangs of Love.

1991

An adult's attention is focused on a young child's ear. Another child and adult are present in the background. The Thayer Lindsley Program for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Infants and Toddlers is a program within the Robbins Center that provides group and individual services to young children and their families. The program began in 1965 as the Thayer-Lindsley Parent Centered Nursery for Hearing Impaired Children. Info source: Emerson College Today (7/21/2014).

Exterior view of 6 Arlington St. (0 Marlborough St.), shot from Public Garden with a food truck parked out front. Constructed in 1930, Zero Marlborough is an historic art deco building that served as a dormitory and dining hall for Emerson College from 1988 to 2006. It also contained large dance hall.

1988

1986-02-02

1986-02

1986-01

1986-02

1986-02-08

Pictured: Photo of television screen showing Democratic party members at convention holding up "Jesse Jackson" signs. Top-left of screen reads, "C-SPAN Live".

1986-01

1986-02-02

1986-01

Pictured: Photo of television screen showing Jesse Jackson speaking.

1986-01

1986-02

Pictured: Photo of television screen showing Democratic party members at convention holding up "Jesse Jackson" signs. Top-left of screen reads, "C-SPAN Live.".

1986-01

Pictured: Photo of television screen showing Jesse Jackson speaking.

1986-01

Mario standing on a circular staircase.

1986-01

Ms. Brown at her desk.

1986-01-30

Pictured: Photo of television screen showing Jesse Jackson speaking.

1986-01

1986-01

1986-02-01

1986-02

1986-01

1986-02-02

1986-02

1986-02

Mario holding a hanging plant on a balcony.

1986-01

1986-02-02

Mario standing in front of large artwork of a Coca Cola can. Mario saluting with serious expression.

1986-01

1986-01

1986-01

Mario standing in front of posted dated 1981 with Rolling Stones "tongue and lip" logo. Mario sticking his tongue out, with slumped shoulders.

1986-01

1986-01

1986-02

1986-03-26

1986-03-22

1986-03-11

1986-01

1986-03-26

1986-02-23 - 1986-03-05

1986-03

1986-02-23 - 1986-03-05

1986-03-26

Powered by Preservica
Copyright 2016 © Emerson College