search archive
explore archive

2692 total results

In complete archive


Title
Description
Date

Mr. Schwartz, with arms spread, in a cluttered room with audio equipment, reel-to-reel tape and audio cassettes.

1986-04-11

Group photo of cast and crew taken outdoors. The cast and crew included Carol Korty, Cris Byrne, Gary Kramer, Ann Marie Wysocki, Kim Keown, Dan Carson, Noel Staples and Cindy Lieber, Connie Winston and Ara Ghazarians. Sponsored by Emerson Stage.

1986-05-01 - 1986-08-31

A man walks through the arcade and under the interior vaulted ceiling on the first floor of the Little Building. 80 Boylston St., Boston, MA. The building was designed by Clarence Blackall and commissioned by John Mason Little in 1917.

1994-11-03

Press photos of actors, loosely arranged pile. Emerson graduates in the acting profession.

1988-12

Richard L. Kaye, president of WCRB with Wanda Bigham, acting vice president for development at Emerson College, and Rev. Theodore Jones, vice chairman of WCRB. Photo taken during the 75th birthday celebration of founder, Theodore Jones. Location: Copley Plaza Hotel.

1986-03-25

One person working out in a weight room. Source folder dates image as prior to August 1985.

1980 - 1985

David Wong Louie gives a reading from his book during the John C. Zacharis First Book Award presentation at the First and Second Church, Boston on December 4, 1991. Sponsored by Emerson College, Ploughshares, and the Writing Department. Photo by Karen Couture. David Wong Louie became the first recipient of the Zacharis Book Award for his collection of short stories, Pangs of Love. The annual award was created by Ploughshares literary magazine to honor an outstanding debut book of short fiction or poetry.

1991-12-04

Young man in a construction helmet leans through a hole in a wall. A sticker on the wall reads, "WERS 88.9," and handwritten above that is, "The New Home of." In 1998, WERS relocated from 180 Beacon Street to the Ansin building at 180 Tremont St., where it remains today (2015). It would be the first Emerson building project completely funded by gifts. At the time, WERS was Boston's only radio station with street-level windowed studios.

1998

Interior of the timber-framed carriage house, set up with rows of folding chairs, stage lighting and tapestries. View of the main house from the stage. The college's very first theater, dubbed the Emerson College Theater, opened in 1936 in a repurposed carriage house behind the 128-130 Beacon Street buildings of the Back Bay. Info source: “Carriage House, 1936,” ECHO: Emerson College History Online, accessed July 27, 2016, http://emersonhistory.omeka.net/items/show/229.

1936

Photographic portrait of Charles Wesley Emerson wearing a coat with a large furry collar. Charles Wesley Emerson was born in 1837 and raised in Vermont. He began preaching at age 19 at the Congregationalist Church in West Halifax, Vermont, and continued to preach at the Unitarian Church in Chelsea, Massachusetts, while attending the school of oratory at Boston University. Although he carried the title of “Dr.,” Emerson did not earn a doctoral degree, but earned several honorary degrees that provided him with the title. Emerson founded the Boston Conservatory of Elocution, Oratory, and Dramatic Art in 1880 with 10 students at 13 Pemberton Square. Emerson’s school opened one year after Boston University’s school of oratory closed, following the death of Lewis B. Monroe, Emerson’s mentor and former professor. The college’s curriculum was rooted in the theories and writings of Delsarte and Swedenborg, which Emerson studied under Professor Monroe. In 1881, Emerson changed the name of the school to the Monroe Conservatory of Oratory; the school was renamed the Emerson College of Oratory in 1891 after several students and alumni demanded the name be changed to honor its founder. By 1902, Dr. Emerson was in ill health and officially resigned his position as president of the College by the end of the year.

1880 - 1908

Exterior view of 6 Arlington St. (0 Marlborough St.), shot from Public Garden with a food truck parked out front. Constructed in 1930, Zero Marlborough is an historic art deco building that served as a dormitory and dining hall for Emerson College from 1988 to 2006. It also contained large dance hall.

1988

1986-02-02

1986-01

1986-01

Group portrait of the class of 1981. Photo taken at the Soldiers and Sailors monument in Boston Common.

1981

Headshot of Melissa Zollo. Practitioner of the healing arts, inspirational speaker.

Photo portrait of John Wentworth. Head of public relations for CBS Television Distribution. Wentworth joined Paramount Television — predecessor to CBS Television Studios — in 1983. Received Emerson's Alumni Achievement Award in 1984.

Statue of George Washington on a horse. The Public Garden was the first public botanical garden in America, established in 1837. The statue was created in the 1860s by Boston sculptor Thomas Ball.

1990-10-20

Bernays at the podium. Honorary induction of Edward Bernays into Phi Alpha Tau fraternity at the First and Second Church. Bernays was known as the "Father of Public Relations".

1987-10-28

Claire Andrade-Watkins, assistant professor in Mass Communication, with her daughter Callie Piedade. Location: At the professor's home in Roxbury, MA.

1986-05-07

Academic procession on the sidewalk enters the portico of a large stone arched building under round arches. Location: First Baptist Church of Boston, 110 Commonwealth Avenue.

1967-11-03

Actress Jean Stapleton with Jacqueline Liebergott (back to camera) and Marillyn Zacharis. Special event: Filming of the Majestic Video at the Emerson Majestic Theatre, Boston.

1988-08-06

David Frost at the podium with others seated at the front table. Location: Boston's Sheraton Plaza. Frost received an honorary degree from Emerson in 1970.

1971-10-26

Headshot / press photo of David Frost, leaning his chin on his hand. Frost received an honorary degree from Emerson in 1970.

Headshot / press photo of David Frost, gesturing. Frost received an honorary degree from Emerson in 1970.

Claire Andrade-Watkins, assistant professor in Mass Communication, with her daughter Callie Piedade. Location: At the professor's home in Roxbury, MA.

1986-05-07

Photo portrait of Claire Andrade-Watkins, assistant professor in Mass Communication.

1992-09-08

Portrait / press photo of Maya Angelou. Lordly & Dame, Inc.

Press clipping from Emerson College News: Photo shows students waving to others in the cockpit of a biplane. Written on the side of the plane: "Skyways, Inc. Boston Airport." The Emerson Press Club covered a mock presidential election. Students, posing as news correspondents, traveled to East Boston Airport to study how election return stories and pictures would be sent by airplane to Boston dailies.

1928

Group photo of cheerleaders.

1966

Male student stands, singing, with teacher or accompanist at the piano.

1986-04

Billboard advertising Marlboro cigarettes featuring the Marlboro Man cowboy on a horse. The billboard sits atop an old building with boarded up windows.

1986-05-01

Actors on stage among forest scenery. Alice in Wonderland performed by the Emerson College Children’s Theatre group and directed by Imogen Hogle on Oct. 18, 1919 at Huntington Chambers Hall. The nation's first collegiate level program in Children's Theater was established at Emerson College in 1919.

1919-10

Two smartly-dressed young men in a room before a large glass window. One sits at a small table. He appears to be reading copy into a single tabletop microphone. The other sits behind a larger desk built around audio equipment. He's got two turntables and a microphone. Two turntables and a microphone. In 1949, the Broadcasting Division received FCC approval for an educational broadcasting license; Emerson’s student-operated radio station WERS went on the air for the first time with 10 watts power.

1949

Historical photo of the Majestic theater with sign that reads: "Emerson College: Theatre soon." The Majestic Theatre first opened its doors in 1903. The building was designed by John Galen Howard and the interior shows off gloriously ornate Beaux-Arts architectural style. In 1955, the theater was sold to Sack Cinemas and served as the Saxon movie theater for nearly 30 years. You can still see the old Saxon vertical sign in this photo. By the time it was purchased by Emerson College in 1983, the theater had fallen into considerable disrepair. Emerson spent 20 years restoring the Majestic to its former glory and reopened the Cutler Majestic Theatre at Emerson College in May 2003.

Emerson's Debate Council: Gertrude Hubbard '56, Vincent Bevilacqua '57, John Pietromonaco '58, Haig Marderosian '54, Otilio Gorospe, Jr., pose with their trophy from a 1955 debate tournament.

1955

From the John C. Zacharis First Book Award ceremony on Dec. 4, 1991, Emerson College president John Zacharis stands for a photo with members of the award committee. The annual John C. Zacharis First Book Award honors an outstanding debut book of short fiction or poetry. The author David Wong Louise (not pictured) was first to receive the award for his collections of short stories, Pangs of Love.

1991

Ten actors lined up on stage in flamboyant costume. Four wear masks. A man holding a top hat speaking or singing. Emerson College brought "Lady in the Dark" to the stage for the school's first Annual Spring Musical in 1954. Music by Kurt Weill, lyrics by Ira Gershwin, and book by Moss Hart. In the same year, NBC broadcast their Max Liebman Presents production of "Lady in the Dark" as a live television special.

1954

Student on the front steps of 130 Beacon. Property signage displays the new name, "Emerson College, established 1880," as well as directional signage pointing the way to "FM station WERS" and "Drama workshop in rear." Originally built as private residences, 130 Beacon was part of a group of Back Bay buildings held by Emerson College. The college purchased 130 Beacon in 1933 to house administrative offices and classrooms. It became the flagship building of Emerson's Back Bay campus and over the years would also served as the base for The Emerson Review, The Berkeley Beacon and EIV, as well as the college library and a television studio. President Ross created the college's first theater in the Carriage House, located behind 128 and 130 Beacon. In 1939, the name of the institution was shortened from Emerson College of Oratory to Emerson College to coincide with expanded course offerings. 130 Beacon was a popular student hangout known as the Wall. Upon learning that Emerson was selling all of the college’s west side properties and relocating to complete the vision of the "Campus on the Common," Emerson students, staff, and faculty lamented the loss of the Beacon Street buildings for their character which lent itself to a unique sense of community. "I guess if you ask anyone from Emerson from the Beacon Street era, they would say The Wall was one of the best things about Emerson. It was like our Facebook. Behind The Wall was a huge sheet stretched between posts. All the events and news were posted daily. It was the central gathering point for campus life." - Barbara Ruthberg, BS '68. Info sources: Berkeley Beacon (10/19/2005); Emerson.edu webpages: Past-presidents, Editorial style guide, Memories of the Library; online video: "Pete Chvany reminisces at the wall.”.

1950 - 1959

Headshot / press photo of Merv Griffin. Merv Griffin was honored with a Doctor of Humane Letters from Emerson College in May 1981.

Headshot / press photo of Merv Griffin. Merv Griffin was honored with a Doctor of Humane Letters from Emerson College in May 1981.

Group portrait of the class of 1890. Charles Wesley Emerson (center), founder of Emerson College, is surrounded by faculty and students. Seated to his left is Henry Southfield, who served as the third president of the college.

1890

Composite photo of the Emerson College of Oratory class of 1900, with photos of students surrounding faculty and administration. Founder Charles Wesley Emerson in center.

1900

Emerson trustee Helen Rose stands on a grand staircase wearing a polka dot dress. In 1994, the Cecil and Helen Rose Ethics in Communication Scholarship was established through a $300,000 contribution. It is the first endowed full-tuition scholarship in Emerson's history. Helen Rose was an Emerson graduate and trustee, an advocate for the deaf, and a dedicated friend to Emerson College. Photo by Karen Couture.

1994

Seated, Dorothy Morris; standing, left to right, Belle Sylvester and Ruth Campbell. Under the leadership of Dean Harry S. Ross, the first Emerson course in radio broadcasting was offered by Arthur F. Edes, program director at WEEI, Boston (1932). Info source: www.emerson.edu (Iwasaki library: A short history of Emerson College).

1930 - 1949

Pictured L-R: Emerson president John Zacharis, Ploughshares editor-in-chief Ladette Randolph, and Ploughshares co-founder DeWitt Henry. Ploughshares literary magazine created the John C. Zacharis Book Award to honor an outstanding debut book of short fiction or poetry. The first Zacharis award went to David Wong Louie (not pictured) in 1991 for his collection of short stories, Pangs of Love.

1991

Powered by Preservica
Copyright 2016 © Emerson College